Monday, September 8, 2008

Small things - big booms.

So I read today that in just a few hours, "soon after 9am on Sept 10 (0700 GMT), scientist will finally put to use their 17 mile Large Hadron Collider (LHC). hmm...whats that you ask? Well, its about a 10 billion dollar project to see if the "Big Bang" can be recreated. Yep, the Big Bang...you know, the thing that supposedly created the universe and all things in it as we know? Yeah that Big Bang...did I mention that scientists are trying to re-create it?

The real tests will actually be happening in a few weeks or so and I suppose we'll see then what becomes of them. I hope. That is, if I still have a living room to sit in. I'd at least like to get through what will hopefully be a good Ravens season before I have to start worrying about things like this.

Gerardus t'Hooft of the University of Michigan says, "What I would like to see is the unexpected".

On the plus side, perhaps scientists can figure out how to warp speed me to another part of the country or, maybe it will make the Internet fast for everyone, maybe it will solve the worlds oil crisis, or maybe it will just prove some scientific stuff like reveal the secrets of the Universe and really mess with religion?

There are quite a few people who have voiced their fears. For example, the biggest fear is that black holes will form, suck everything up and..well, let's get back to the Ravens. Go Flaco!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a talented writer. I had no idea until you created your blog. You should be in the media.