Monday, June 30, 2008

Group Policy

I recently have been victim to this error in the Application Event Log on some of my Windows XP machines.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1053
Date: 6/30/2008
Time: 8:29:27 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: XXXXXXXXXX
Description:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. ). Group Policy processing aborted.


Well, I've found that most people point to DNS problems. BUT, I have found some good info on BroadCom NIC's regarding media sensing that can cause these types of problems. Read here to find out more. It's FAQ 101. Additionally you can read this tidbit of info from Microsoft and how to fix it.

These type of errors are frustrating..users complain of drives not mapping, scripts not running..ugh... The registry changed supplied in the last link worked for me. I hope it does the same for you.

Thanx. C

No comments: