Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Vista Install

I took the plunge and installed Vista Business on my Dell Latitude D830 laptop. After getting home from Tech Ed I had a bit more faith in Vista so I thought I would give it a shot. So far so good. I'm not running anything out of the ordinary that would pose any significant issues - I think.

I did have to upgrade my Sonic Wall VPN device to the latest firmware and install the latest NetXtender client. All is well with that. A few other apps I have are Office Pro 2007, some networking utilities...etc..

The interface is pretty cool. If you thought XP was bubbly, Vista is more animated. Kinda looks like Linux...don't mean to offend anyone.

Installation was fairly a breeze. I had some problems burning the ISO to my DVD drive but I believe that was due to antivirus running. I went through several DVD's and installation retry's...I finally decided to download another ISO from Microsoft. Either the first ISO was bad or antivirus was the culprit.

Once installed, I ran Windows Updates. The ISO was a Vista SP1 image. the updates were mostly security updates and drivers - Video and NIC.

The interface is going to take a little to get use to...it has only been a day or so but I'm learning as I go. example: there is no Run, and I had to read the help doc to join a domain if that tells you anything.

No comments: