Monday, August 18, 2008

EqualLogic/Dell Firmware Upgrade

So I've noticed that I'm a few firmware versions behind on my EqualLogic/Dell firmware. The other day I got brave and decided to update to the latest supported release, version 3.3.3. I was a bit hesitant on applying the update just because I immediately thought...SAN, firmware...uhhh.. BUT, it was quite easy and painless.

I was able to download the firmware and FTP it over to the storage array, login via a serial connection and run the "update" command. It does require a restart so I thought ok, how am I going to restart my array when I have data on it? Fortunately I have an array that is waiting to be loaded with VM's...but for now, it's empty. I was able to move my data to the other array while online, which I thought was cool. No downtime, no help desk calls...And were talking SQL, Exchange. It took a bit of time to move, but it did and I was happy. Storage vendors say you can do these things but sometimes you always take it with a grain of salt. But not me...I thought, they say you can do it and it should just work. So why not? Once the data was moved, I updated my firmware, restarted, and moved my data back. I thought that was pretty cool..but coming from a SAN newb...all things SAN related are pretty cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I enjoyed reading your post about your EqualLogic experience. Let me know if you'd like to write a post on the Dell Channel Blog.

Thank you,
APaxtonatDell
Channel Community Manager

Andrew said...

Chris... is this how you recently upgraded to 4.2??? Same method? How did it work out? I need to do the same thing X 15... (for 15 datacenters!)